Facebook is used worldwide and is the most popular social network. You can chat with your friends from all over the world, see pictures of them, post pictures, and so many other things. I personally have connected with a lot of long lost friends. While Facebook is a great place to meet new people and get connected with your friends, it can also be a big time waster.
In the survey that was taken about Facebook one of the questions was about the advantages and disadvantages of Facebook. Lots of negative issues were brought up, but I am only going to talk about a few of them because it would take forever to get into all of them. The first one is that Facebook is a time consumer. Out of about 100 people that answered the question 16 of them said it was a time waster. I agree with this statement. Although it can be used for productive things, it usually is not. I personally can say that I spend too much time on it while I could be focusing more on school. I bet even though only 16 people wrote it to be a time waster, if you asked the other people they would probably agree.
Another negative aspect of Facebook is that you are more anti-social face to face. Out of 100 people more than 6 said this to be true. By chatting over the internet and talking about relationships and other personal things you do not learn how to communicate as well with your friends when you are face to face with them. Some people also say that they talk about so many things on Facebook that when they are hanging out with their friends they are out of things to say. I had never really thought of that until someone mentioned it to me. I started thinking about this statement and noticed that it was true. Some of the people I talk to on Facebook almost every day I do not even talk to when I am sitting right beside them.
Now we move on to the positives of Facebook. Once again, many things were brought up but I will only mention some of the bigger ones. One thing someone said was that Facebook Is good for keeping in contact with friends that live overseas. For our school, most of us are not from Turkey, so this aspect of Facebook is really useful and helpful to us. I personally prefer Skype to keep in contact with my family back in the States, but if you do not have that then Facebook is a great way to keep in touch.
Another positive thing about Facebook would have to be that you always have an idea of what is going on in your community. If there is a party, or a bunch of people that are meeting up for something, it is posted on Facebook. This is a good thing because in a way, it helps us be more social and get out of the house to do things with our peers or friends. You can also plan an event and then post it on Facebook and tag a bunch of people in it so that they all hear at once and can respond if they plan on coming to it.
There are lots more things to be said about Facebook. I for one think that the negative and the positive are pretty neutral. I also think that people need to be more careful with Facebook because when you are careless you create negatives about the site that are not completely the fault of the site.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment