Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Slippers vs. Shoes in the House

  There are many differences in our culture and Turkey's culture. One of the differences is shoes in the house. In America it seems to be very normal to walk around in shoes in the house. Here in Turkey that is not cleanly, and is considered rude.

Here in Turkey when you go into a house you are supposed to take off your shoes and put on slippers. Slippers are provided for you at the front door so you have easy access to them. In Russia they also do this. Taking off your shoes shows good breeding. In America you do not do this at all.

When I go back to America I always take my shoes off and whoever house I am visiting always tell me, "Oh you don't have to take your shoes off", but in my mind I do. Then just when I am getting used to leaving my shoes on when I walk around in the house, I go back overseas. "I had gotten used to the fact that I just leave my shoes on in the house so when I went back I went to a Turkish person's home and I forgot that I had to take my shoes off,” says Kendall Martin. The hostess in turn is taken aback by this behavior and does not know how to respond to it. “It takes some time to get used to the change in a culture when you go back,” says Annie Jonas. "There are many times when people have come over to our house and have trekked across our clean floors that we have slaved over to get clean, and they get mud/dirt all over the floor." says Morgan Benton.

It bothers me now when people wear their shoes in the house because I am not used to it. Slippers are provided in our home in America as well, and when people come to our house often they know to take their shoes off. In my case, my family in America has had to adapt to our culture because we are so used to it we make them change their culture while they are around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment